My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger (2010)

I love that Woody Allen keeps making movies year after year.  He doesn't always succeed but when he does it's wonderful.  What I like about this film is how organic it is, almost like an odd-shaped sculpture that somehow stays standing and you're not sure why.  There's four stories at work and each is like a short story.   Naomi Watts devolpes a crush on the art dealer she works with played by Antonio Banderas.  Josh Brolin,  her husband, is a doctor turned writer smitten with a neighbor (Frida Pinto) he enjoys watching from his across this courtyard.  Anthony Hopkins plays Mrs. Watts' father who leaves her mother for a prostitute played by Lucy Punch.  And her mother played by Gemma Jones becomes enchanted by a fortune teller's prediction that she'll meet a tall dark stranger.  The reason I say these are like short stories is because they don't have your traditional "movie" ending that the average movie-goer expect and this is another reason why this film is a breath of fresh air.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment