My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, May 21, 2012

Smash Palace (1982)

This New Zealand gem needs to be celebrated more.  It's an unknown classic about a junk yard owning, race car driving, car restoring father whose life turns upside down when his wife leaves him for one of his best mates.  Bruno Lawrence stars and his performance will stick with me for a long time because it's so honest, brave and in your face masculine.  Anna Maria Monticelli plays his wife and her performance resonates because you can see her conflicting emotions and yet believe she is making the right decision.  Roger Donaldson writes and directs what really is an accomplished story well-told and deeply satisfying.  Grade: A
.

No comments:

Post a Comment