My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, May 7, 2012

The Avengers (2012)

After years of build-up it's finally upon us: the superhero team movie of the year that plays like a comedy-action disaster film.  And it's a blast, a fantastic romp of gigantic proportions.  The reason it's so entertaining has more to do with Joss Wheadon than the Marvel comics that inspired it, but a great cast helps too.  I'm sure if Mr. Wheadon wasn't involved it would have still been decent but his wit and clear understanding of ensemble adventure is what makes this film work  I'm sure Zak Penn's original script, of which Mr. Wheadon re-wrote, was good but at the same time represents the biggest weakness of this film and that's the story.  Aliens from another dimension come to take over Earth?  Sounds a little like Transformers.  Wait, how about every science fiction invasion story made.  But with great writing comes great cinema fun, so thank you Joss Wheadon and Marvel for hiring him.  Grade: A-

Spoilers: Besides Mr. Wheadon, I must give a shout out to the Hulk and Black Widow (Scarlet Johannson) who together almost steal the movie from Iron Man's Ego.  The weakest link is Hawkeye who doesn't seem much like a "super" hero than just a niffy sidekick.  I must admit that the climax lost some of its momentum with all the city destruction.  I really hope film makers get away from this concept of falling skyscrapers as spectacle.   It's so overused.   

No comments:

Post a Comment