My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Rum Diary (2011)

Johnny Depp honors his friend Hunter S. Thompson by bringing to the screen the writer's most personal work.  It's the story of writer, Paul Kemp, who gets a job in Puerto Rico at a local newspaper in the '50s.  While there he befriends a fellow drinker named Sala, experiments with some new narcotics, gets swept away by business man/ developer, Sanderson, who wants him to work for him and falls in love said business man/ developer's girl friend.  Oh, and there's cock fighting too.  I have not read the book although I intend to and I can imagine it's a well-adapted creation.  Director Bruce Robinson does a fine job, producing something that's almost as good as his masterpiece, Withnail and I.   Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment