My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Mulholland Falls (1996)

This '90s Film noir set in Los Angeles '50s gets the tone right and tells a compelling mystery.   Nick Nolte plays a police detective in charge of an elite squad that roots out organized crime the ruthless and illegal way.  But things become personal when a young woman he had an affair with turns up dead.  I like films like these that show the gritty side of the supposed-wholesome past.  Lee Tamahori (Once Were Warriors) directs and finds that right balance of film noir tease and dramatic character study.  Jennifer Connelly is stunning in her brief role and Chazz Palminteri almost steals the show as Nolte's partner.  Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment