My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, April 9, 2011

What Would Jesus Buy? (2007)

A documentary that shows us everything that is wrong with Christmas.   I personally think everyone should see this, especially those who celebrate the holiday season.  Sure it's one sided but it's so true.  It's not anti-religious, for those easily offended; it's more anti-big business.   The film follows Reverend Billy (Billy Talen) and his Church of Stop Shopping Gospel Choir on a bus tour across America, as he invades malls everywhere, preaching in an over a top Baptist revivalist manner of the Shopocalypse.  My one complaint is that it becomes a little redundant at times because basically seeing him and his choir spout the same thing and see the same looks from innocent shoppers.  My favorite parts of the film are when Billy isn't in character or when three teenage girls learn where their clothes come from.  And the Disney font during the beginning credits is not a coincidence, it's a challenge.   While I'm not going to stop buying Christmas gifts anytime soon, I do think I'm going to try and adopt other practices to celebrate the season, like sharing myself more with my loved ones with a gift that comes from my heart instead of my wallet.  Grade: A-.

No comments:

Post a Comment