My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Nun's Story (1959)

I'm sure this is the film that inspired Audrey Hepburn to become the humanitarian later in her life.   Here she plays a nurse who becomes a Nun in hopes to dedicate her life to helping others.   Right away though its clear she has much to struggle with in her faith.   Directed by Fred Zinnenmann (who I'm liking a lot since watching his other film The Sundowners) allows the story to unfold at a natural pace and captures many wonderful moments from Audrey's journey from the Nunnery all the way to Africa where she assists an Atheist surgeon.   Based on a real woman, I'm amazed that such a film was made back in the '50s but then again there's nothing offensive about it.  Really it's a personal story about a woman in search of herelf.   Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment