My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

NY Times 1000 Greatest Films

One might ask where I hear about all of these movies I'm watching and lately they are coming from the New York Times' 1001 Greatest Films list.   Of the thousand, I've seen 646 of them and I'm slowly picking through the rest.  Unfortunately for me, not all of the films on the list are available on DVD.  113 are in the waiting category so that leaves me with 241 films.  This is not the only list I pull from but it's what's preoccupying my choices at the moment.  The interesting thing about movie lists put together by film critics is that after awhile I get burnt out.  Why are there so many depressing, dramatic films on these lists.  Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of comedies and genre films mixed in but the endless string of dramatic storytelling is draining on the psyche.  Which leads me to a two-part question?   Are there so many more dramas on these lists because dramas are more important and of greater worth?  Or, to explore that question more, because comedy is so much harder to pull off, we've just not made enough great comedies yet?   Something to ponder for another blog someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment