My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, April 8, 2011

Father of the Bride (1991) Revisited

While I am not a father, there's something very relatable about George Banks in this remake of the Spencer Tracey comedy starring Steve Martin.  Perhaps it's the universal fear of change and getting older, or maybe it's just good writing, all I know is my heart melts when I re-watch this movie.  For a guy that's not a father in real life, Mr. Martin seems like the perfect family man.   Coupled with the always reliable Diane Keaton as Nina Banks and you have a match made in movie heaven.   It's rare when a remake actually improves upon and excels past its original but this one certainly does.  It is funny watching though now, almost twenty years later, because it is getting a little dated, but not in a bad way at all.  And while some might cry too sentimental, I fall under its spell.  I have a secret desire that someday the cast will reunite for a third film, but that's kind of unlikely.   How about The Grandfather of the Bride?  Somebody call Martin's agent.   Grade: A.

No comments:

Post a Comment