My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Speed (1994) -Revisited

In the mood for a fun action movie, I decided to re-watch this classic '90s blockbuster and was delighted by its ability to still entertain after all these years.  Before Sandra Bullock was an Oscar-winning megastar and when the idea of Keanu Reeves as an action stud seemed far-fetched there was this perfectly executed, silly movie that's the definition of a thrill ride.  Sure the bus has every stereotype present and there's no way that bus could have done some of its stunt work, it works because its simply story line is perfect movie fodder.  Dennis Hopper plays a great villain with every line coming out of his mouth about as juice and fun as a piece of gum.  "Pop quiz hotshot!"  I can see him reading the script when he first got it and drooling at how much fun he was going to have, even though at the end his character goes off the rails (pun intended, sorry) a little too conveniently for the sake of the plot, oh well.  It's nice to know that some movies from my younger days still hold up.  Grade: A-.   

No comments:

Post a Comment