My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, September 13, 2015

The Leftovers (Season 1)

Easily the best television show on right now.  Damon Lindelof and Tom Perrotta collaborate to adapt Perrotte’s novel and the result is television gold.  The concept sounds like a Left Behind copycat but it’s not; it’s a work of art that explodes with ideas on existence, guilt and the true reason we’re here.  1% of the people of the world have just disappeared without any answers.  Follow those that are trying to survive in such a world where such a thing could happen.  It’s not at all what you think.  First there’s the cultists known as the Guilty Remnant, who wear white, smoke packs of cigarettes, refuse to talk and instead write everything with Sharpie and pads of paper.  There’s the Sheriff who witnesses dogs going crazy just as it seems he might be losing his mind as well.  There’s a son who finds himself a follower of a new prophet named Holy Wayne, who takes your pain away with a simple hug.   And there’s the pastor who will do everything he can think of to save his church and his soul.   It’s not a happy series but it’s very satisfying and very good.  Writing this good need to be celebrated, it’s right up there with Breaking Bad or Lost.  This shouldn’t surprise me since Lindelof is involved. I can’t write enough good things about this excellent series.  Justin Theroux is brilliant.  Amy Brenneman proves she’s more than Judge Amy, Christopher Eccleston delivers one of the best performances in his career,  Ann Dowd creates probably the most fascinating and psychological complex villains I’ve ever seen on the small screen.  Then there’s Carrie Coon who stole my heart; I love this woman’s talent.  There’s not a bad performance in the bunch.  I know this show isn’t for everyone: it’s  grim and it’s a bit complex.  But if you’re willing to take a very strange but intellectually stimulating ride, then jump on board.  It really is a very impressive first season.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment