My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Lawrence of Arabia (1962) [Revisited]

I had the great pleasure of seeing this masterwork from David Lean presented at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood.  I’ve always wanted to see this film on the big screen in glorious 70mm but assumed I’d never see it that way.  The first time I watched this film was in college on a large square TV.  Thankfully it was at least in letterbox.  There really is nothing like this film.  It’s one of the greatest films ever, period.  Peter O’Toole is stunning.  He will forever be this complex and courageous figure for me.  Omar Shariff and Anthony Quinn also give excellent performances.  The story is about how T.E. Lawrence, the man and the legend he’d become as he unites the Arab tribes to fight World War I.  Lawrence’s emotional journey is the thread the pulls the audience forward.  The visuals are amazing and the music that goes with it remarkable.  If you live near a rival house, I suggest you wait to see it on the big screen.  But if you can’t wait don’t worry.  I have the film on Blu-Ray and it looks great.  Whatever you do, add this film to your bucket list now. Grade: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment