My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, December 6, 2015

The Leftovers (Season 2)

I’ll say it.  This is the best show on television.  The first season was a beautifully grim story of a family torn asunder but here Damon Lindelof and Tom Perrotta give us a rebirth of a family brought together.   How do I not write about this show without overselling it?   It’s not for everyone.  But those who will appreciate it will be so inspired and moved I doubt you’ll forget it.  The very first sequence of season two is so remarkable I’d award it a special Emmy for best opening ever.  Like the first season, each episode explores a character’s story arc and as the season unfolds the story builds to one of the best culminations I’ve seen.  Justin Theroux continues to marvel and give the performance of the year.  Seeing this man struggle with his sense of fate is soulful and heartbreaking.  Ann Dowd returns from the dead and her presence is instrumental and as innovated as you can get in television drama.  Then there’s Carrie Coons who I love. She’s amazing and to see how badly her character wants to make sense of her crisis is unforgettable.   To summarize this season is to state Kevin and Nora, along with Kevin’s daughter Jill, adopt Holy Wayne’s child and move to the one town in the world where no one disappeared after the Sudden Departure, Miracle Texas.  Matt and his paralyzed and catatonic wife have already moved there in hope the place might somehow bring Mary back.  Here we are introduced to a new family, the Murphy’s.  They live in Miracle and it’s their secrets that help give even more life to an already complex landscape.  What occurs in this show is as imaginative as anything I’ve seen.  Lindelof’s DNA is everywhere and his writers playfully take us to areas never explored in television.  To produce an even better second season of an already brilliant show is an incredible achievement.  Hopefully HBO realized what a prize it has here and gives it another season.  Although it doesn’t need one, I really want to come back to this world and continue to witness these characters’ journey.  Grade: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment