My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, December 21, 2015

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Easily the most anticipated film of the year, we return to a Galaxy Far Far Away.  Being a Star Wars Fan I could write about my experience and my opinion on the success and failure of this reboot/remake/sequel all night.  I’m sure the blog would be so long no one, including me, would want to read it.   Instead I’m going keep my feelings short and simply say this.  Good.  It’s a good film.   J.J. Abrams does what he was hired to do and that’s to stoke the flames of Star Wars back into a roaring blaze.  While watching the film I actually felt like a kid again.  Seeing the originals return and to see how easily they slipped back into their characters was awe inspiring.   I wish the script hadn’t felt like a Star Wars remake, reusing plots and devices from the original trilogy as if Abrams Kasdan didn’t want to even try.   The prequels for all their inferiority are actually way more creative and it feels like they were punished for it.   Instead of taking any risks J.J. Abrams delivers what we all want to see, unconcerned that we’ve already enjoyed this meal once, twice and three times.  The best parts of the film are those that felt different.  The new characters of Rey, Finn, Kylo Renn and Poe Dameron are all exciting new additions to this universe and I must say I can’t wait to see how director/writer Raine Johnson uses them in the next episode. This all leads me to wonder if this Disney driven franchise will ever be more than a fan service franchise.   Like Marvel Studios, is Lucasfilm going to play it safe and create entertaining but soulless entries to this once unique cinematic world?   Sure they aren’t afraid to kill off a character as seen in this one, but was it not expected?   Will they even try to wow us?   Hate on George Lucas all you want, but when he was around Star Wars had a voice.  Now I feel like it is lacking.   Not to be all doom and gloom, I could be wrong and I hope I am.  Now that Kathleen Kennedy brought the franchise back from the smoldering ashes of the prequels, maybe now they can distance themselves from the redundant and bring us films that reinvent what is  Star Wars while retaining the magic we all love.  I very challenging task as J.J. Abrams knows.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment