My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, November 13, 2015

The Walk (2015)

If you’ve seen the Oscar winning documentary Man On Wire then you’ll know this tale but Robert Zemeckis does an excellent job bringing Philippe Petit’s story to life with a solid performance from Joseph Gordon-Levitt.  In many ways this dramatization is a celebration of a dream realized and a sad farewell to a time of innocence.  You can’t help but think of 9/11 as you watch this film.  First it’s amazing how Robert Zemeckis recreates the Twin Towers.  It’s a marvel and the entire finale is breathtaking, especially in 3D.  Yet even as you cheer you find yourself solemnly aware that those buildings are no more and that hundreds of people perished in their destruction.  It makes you wonder why even tell such a story.  The truth is because of the hope imbued in this telling.  I fear that many people will stay away from this film and while it’s not perfect it is one worth seeing and praising on so many levels.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment