My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, November 12, 2015

The Martian (2015)

At last a Ridley Scott film I can get behind and praise.  I’m not the biggest fan of the director of such films as Gladiator, Alien and Blade Runner.  He’s certainly a very talented director but I feel his work is inconsistent.  But here he delivers a fantastic science fiction film that’s a blending of Gravity and Apollo 13.  You can give a lot of credit to his star (and co-producer) Matt Damon for making this adaption of Andy Weir’s novel so enthralling.   The premise is an astronaut is left stranded for dead on Mars.  Now he must survive long enough for those on Earth to bring him back home.  This is a fine film and I expect to see it around Oscar time.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment