My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey

In many ways, as I read this, I felt I was experiencing the proper sequel to Danny Boyle’s zombie masterpiece 28 Days Later.   Told from various points of view, one of which is a child zombie, Carey takes us on an apocalyptic journey that is both exciting and emotionally engaging. Melanie is the child zombie that has the ability to still think and is through her eyes we see humanity for all its complexity.   We see the good in her teacher and mother figure Justineau, and the bad in the scientist that wants to dissect her, Dr. Caldwell.  This is an excellent addition to the zombie genre and proof that there is still a lot that can be done with these stories about the walking dead or infected as in this case.   Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment