My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Game of Thrones (Season 4)

This might be so far the most satisfying season of this epic fantasy series from HBO.  Again it’s impossible to write about this kind of show without spoilers.  I’ll only say there are a lot of surprises and many changes.  Tyrion must suffer his new life, not as the Hand of the King, but as a pawn in family politics.  Ayra must learn to endure The Hound in order to survive.  Jon Snow must decide if he’s a Watcher or an ally of the Wildings. Daenerys learns her first lessons as a ruler of a city.  David Benioff and D. B. Weiss have really increased the stakes and pushed this television show into cinematic proportions.   The ninth episode is glorious in is scale and execution.  At this point it’s clear we’re watching a classic of the medium, the kind of show we’ll be talking about for a long time.  The interesting thing for me is that George R.R. Martin hasn’t finished his series yet.  Hopefully he’ll get the next book out soon or I don’t know what Benioff and Weiss are going to do.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment