My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau (2014)

I love a good documentary about the making of a film.  What’s great about this one isn’t that the film turned out to be bad, but that it could have been really good.  We’ll never know if the film Richard Stanley wanted to make would have been any good.  All I do know is that if you want to kill a film’s chances at being good hire actors with monster-size egos.  This film does not color Marlon Brando and especially Val Kilmer in a good light.  Hearing the stories of what happened on set is very entertaining, from the parties to the changes to actors roles.   What’s sad is that Mr. Stanley didn’t try to reboot his career.   Yet he gave up and we’ll never know if he was a promising talent or a guy just too sincere to work for Hollywood.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment