My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, June 16, 2014

The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan (Novel)

The second book of the Wheel of Time is a great example of how to improve upon the first novel and further develop the characters in a rewarding and expanding way. Rand al’Thor, Mat Cauthon and Perrin Aybara pursue the Darkfriend Padan Fain to take back the Horn of Valere and more importantly the Dagger of Shadar Logoth so to save Mat from its evil taint. Meanwhile Nynaeve and Egwene arrive in Tar Valon to learn to become Aes Sedai in the White Tower. There they befriend Elayne Trakand and Min Farshaw (introduced in book one in encounters with Rand). Rand is still trying to accept his destiny as the Dragon Reborn and it’s great to see his struggle and reluctant acceptance. What’s exceptional about this book is how it builds to the climax in the sea town of Tanchico and the introduction of the mysterious Seanchan. The Seanchan might be one of the more original creations I know of in fantasy fiction. If you read this much of the story and aren’t convinced this is a new classic of the genre than you might as well stop reading. I personally consider this a near perfect novel of the serial form. Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment