My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (Novel)

The conclusion to the Hunger Games trilogy is a bit of a mixed-bag. Thankfully the weaker parts of the book are at the beginning and not the end. The end of the book is riveting and unpredictable. It left me greatly satisfied because Collins proves to be more interested in making a statement on war and its lack of glory than a celebration of violence and victory. The weakness of the beginning part of the book has more to do with the writing tempo than what is actually happening in the narrative. It seems rushed as if Collins is just trying to get to the good part, telling more than showing at times. What I love though thematically is Katniss’ drive toward vengeance. It helps develop the character into areas that one would not expect a hero to go. The love triangle becomes less important but the game, the true-game of politics and image, continues to push Katniss to a great and sad realization. I do wish Collins would have developed the book a bit more, but maybe it would have doubled the book’s length and that wasn’t something she wanted to do. Regardless it’s a fine ending to one of the more successful young adult post-apocalyptic stories out there, if it’s even fair or accurate to call such a dark and thrilling tale a young adult story at all. Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment