My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Star Wars Spin-offs (Commentary)

In Disney’s quest to dominate the (film) world, they plan to produce a Star Wars movie a year. Overkill? Maybe. Only time will decide if this will create Star Wars fatigue. Regardless those films that come out between Episodes 7 through 30 (don’t be shocked if Disney makes that many) will be spin-offs and the first two will be directed by Gareth Edwards (Godzilla/Monsters) and Josh Trank (Chronicle/ Fantastic Four). There’s a lot of speculation what these spin-off films will be. Nothing is official.  It’s exciting that Lucasfilm has reached out to two talented and refreshing voices. It’s not a guarantee, what is, but they’re inspiring choices.

5 Stories I’d like to See:

Obi Wan Kenobi Stand-Alone staring Ewan McGregor

Why? Because he was the best part of the prequels and I can’t believe Old Ben stayed on Tatooine for 18 years roaming the desert as a hermit. He had to leave for an adventure at least once.

Bounty Hunter Film featuring Boba Fett

This to me sounds like a really fun idea. Boba Fett deserves more screen time and I always loved the Bounty Hunters and imagined my own cool stories with their action figures as a kid.

Old Republic Pre-prequel

It’d be cool to see how the Jedi came about and the formation of the Jedi Council. Yoda could be really young in it, maybe an apprentice. This would be completely different than anything done before and a potential set up for another trilogy.

Young Han Solo Adventures

This is a no-brainer. Show how he met Chewie and Lando. Where did he find or win the Millennium Falcon? Just make sure the story is something new and not just a rehash of how he pissed off the Hutt.

The Old Skywalker

This idea would only depend on how they write the character in Episode 7 but I’d love to see a kind of prequel to Episode 7 where Luke takes on an apprentice and finds himself in an adventure all his own.

3 Horrible Ideas:

Yoda Stand Alone

I love Yoda but an entire movie with a character speaking in broken English would become annoying after a while. Plus I don’t think he could bolster an entire film on his own as the main character.

Ewoks

I love the Ewoks but we had a couple made-for-tv movies in the eighties about them and they were not that good. Basically the time for Ewoks is over.

Darth Vader Stand Alone

We don’t need any more Darth Vader. Sure he could make a cameo at some point but I’m done with him driving the narrative of the story. I’d rather we introduce new villains than rely on the center piece of the original trilogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment