My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, March 2, 2014

2014 Oscar Results

While it might have been the most predictable Oscars in a long time, it was actually really fun. I only picked 6 wrong. Ellen rocked it, of course. She had me laughing pretty much the entire time. There were many funny parts but my favorite was when she ordered pizza for the audience. My biggest complaint was with the presenters which were pretty forgettable. Usually they get at least one presenter or co-presenters to make a funny moment or two. Not this time. Because of the predictability of this one, I don’t think history will be kind. But I will say when it came to great speeches this one had many. Let’s hope the next Oscars is as entertaining but with tighter races.

BEST PICTURE
12 Years a Slave

Correct: I loved watching how excited director Steve McQueen got when he won. And Brad Pitt, you awesome cinematic force you.

BEST DIRECTOR
Gravity, Alfonso Cuaron

Correct: I’m so happy for Mr. Curaon. He is one of those directors you always hoped would win an Oscar because his work is brilliant. Bravo.

BEST ACTOR
Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club

Correct: Alright, Alright, Alright! Talk about a speech. It came close to sounding like an egomaniac rant but in the end it was one of the best acceptance speeches I’ve ever heard. It was more inspiring than I had imagined.

BEST ACTRESS
Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine

Correct: I’m very happy Mrs. Blachett is now a two time Oscar winner. I suspect more is in store for her too.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club

Correct: While his co-star’s speech was the most inspiring, Leto’s was the most remarkable. I really need to see this movie.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Lupita Nyong'o, 12 Years a Slave

Correct: Something tells me we’re going to see a lot of this actress. It was an amazing moment for a well-deserving artist.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Her, Spike Jonze

Correct: Now let’s hope we don’t have to wait another seven to four years for his next film project. I’m so happy for smart science fiction getting an award like this.

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
12 Years a Slave, John Ridley

Correct: Of course he was going to win. Good work. Anyone else notice he seemed to give Steve McQueen the cold shoulder?

BEST ANIMATED FILM
Frozen

Correct: Not only is this a celebration of Disney animation but a great example how women writers and directors can add to a story. The fact that Brave won last year means this might be a feminist revolution in animation (probably not but we can hope).

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Gravity, Steven Price

Correct: The memorable score wins. Wow, this is really becoming a predictable show.

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
Gravity

Correct: I knew it. Yes, it’s an amazing visual experience but I’d have rather Pacific Rim win. Oh, wait, that didn’t even get nominated.

BEST ART DIRECTION
The Great Gatsby

Wrong: Finally, a surprise! I’m so glad this film won. It deserves it and it helps make things interesting.

BEST COSTUMES
The Great Gatsby, Catherine Martin

Wrong: It’s nice to see the one that should win, actually win.


BEST EDITING
Gravity, Alfonso Cuaron and Mark Sanger

Correct: Any other year this would have been Gravity’s year.

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Gravity, Emmanuel Lubezki

Correct: A fantastic win.


BEST DOCUMENTARY
20 Feet From Stardom, Morgan Neville, Gil Friesen and Caitrin Rogers (WINNER)

Wrong: So the Academy went for the crowd pleaser over the important historical document. It’s a little disappointing but I will admit to liking 20 Feet from Stardom. I do think it could have been better.

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
The Great Beauty, Italy


Wrong: I’m not surprised I picked the wrong one, though I did pick a good film. I wonder how long it will be before I get to see this.

BEST MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
Dallas Buyers Club, Adruitha Lee and Robin Mathews

Correct: They need to revamp this award. I’m certain the other nominees knew they weren’t going to win.

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
"Let It Go" from Frozen; Music and Lyrics by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez

Correct: Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez were so happy. They must have been inspired by their competition which gave an awesome performance by the way.

BEST SOUND EDITING
Gravity

Correct: These sound awards are always interesting. Any other year I probably would have guessed wrong.

BEST SOUND MIXING
Gravity

Correct: At one time I knew the difference between these two awards but if you asked me right this second I’d have trouble explaining it. Obviously Gravity is the king of the technical Oscars this year.

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life, Malcolm Clarke and Nicholas Reed

Wrong: In hindsight I must say I should have picked this one.

BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM
Mr. Hublot, Laurent Witz and Alexandre Espigares

Wrong: I should have known they’d pick the non-Disney one.

BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM
Helium, Anders Walter and Kim Magnusson

Correct: When will this be on YouTube so I can see it? It really looks good.

No comments:

Post a Comment