My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2005) Revisited

It's with this film that the producers found their guy, director David Yates, who will go from here to direct the rest of the Harry Potter films.  Obviously this has turned out to be a good choice, the cast and crew must have enjoyed working with him and he knows what he's doing with these challenging adaptations.  At the time I was disappointed the producers didn't rehire Alfonso CuarĂ³n but he was either busy or they didn't think he was the right guy for the project.  I still think he would have been the perfect visionary for the fifth book or even the sixth book, but Mr. Yates does a fine job.   I do think this film feels rushed, which is strange considering I usually support cutting tidbits from the book, but with this film I think screenwriters should have concentrated on developing Dumbledore's Army more and given us at least one more if not a couple scenes between Snape and Harry during their Occlumency sessions.  Snape and Harry's relationship is too important to brush over, but alas they constantly do this with these films.   Uneven at times the film could have failed (it doesn't help that the mystery for this story is pretty weak, sorry, J.K. Rowling but it is) but it doesn't because it builds to a wonderful climax.   Not the best Harry Potter film but at least it's entertaining and continues to build the saga's overall momentum.  Grade: B+. 

Spoiler:  The climax between Dumbledore and Voldermort is fantastic and lifts what is an average film into a better grade.   But I do want to comment on the death of Sirius Black, which in the book is shocking and well executed.  Here it just happens and I think it's ineffective.   What happens to Sirius is horrible and terrifying but the audience isn't given the time to process this, instead we're rushed into the next scene.  The slow motion doesn't help either because it cheapens the moment.  For one of the best scenes in all the Harry Potter books, it's too bad the moment isn't given the kind of cinematic treatment it deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment