My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, July 15, 2011

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009) Revisited

David Yates improves as the director to this the sixth film in the Harry Potter Franchise, and makes a visually stunning film that sadly misses the mark a lot of the time.  Not to say this is a bad film, it's not; it thrills and continues the story very well.  The problem is that they really did cut out way too much from the book.  So much is missing its amazing J.K. Rowling didn't insist they read the book again.   Harry's investigation about Voldermort is cut up so they could spend more time on the comedic elements of Ron's exploits with girls.  Still there is a lot to love and if the climax could have matched the previous film it would have been great.  Grade: B+

Spoiler:  Much can be written about the ending when Dumbledore perishes.  It's mostly well done but lacks the tension the scene could have had.  I also hate the slow motion and feel the ending with the wizards and students raising their wands to the sky a little melodramatic.  What's really missing though is the battle with the Death eaters.  I can imagine they wished to save the Hogwart's battle for the last film but come on, we deserved more.   And again they rushed through Harry and Snapes last scene where Snape reveals who the Half-Blood Prince.   The scene that I must applaud Yates and company on though is the Cave Lake scene which was as good as anything done in these films.  It's a moment of perfection and I can't write enough about how brilliant it turned out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment