My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, July 8, 2011

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005) Revisited

After finally succeeding at making a Harry Potter film actually good, the producers took what they learned and applied it here with the fourth film in the Harry Potter series.  In the hands of director Mike Newell, again we have a cinematic event with well-developed scenes and some great action sequences.  I enjoyed this movie immensely and thought it was a fine adaptation of the fourth book, which happens to be my favorite.  Some have complained that a lot was cut out, but I feel it's a good screenplay that tells the story just fine.  What really makes this film standout and sizzle is the ending, where we finally met He-Who-Should-Not-Be-Named.   That's sort of a spoiler but not really since he is the main villain throughout the books.  But the casting of Ralph Fiennes is brilliant, the kind of actor that can turn on the evil creepiness that demands authority.   What a frightening moment!  I could complain about little things like how Harry's hair is really beastly and big and how Hermione's crying moment with Ron at the dance is way overacted and distracting, but the truth is those flaws are so slight in an otherwise entertaining fantasy flick.  It was with this film that I realized that from now on the films should stay good and never fall to Chris-Columbus levels.  Thank God.  Grade: A-.

No comments:

Post a Comment