My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Freakonomics (2010)

When I saw the trailer for this documentary based on the best-selling book of the same title I became very interested.  I love the idea that truths we all take for granted are not true at all.  Of the four segments of this film I'd say only two are really that eye-opening.  The first part deals with the power of naming.   I did find it funny how lower income parents tend to name their children popular names that upper-class families picked hence turning that name into a trite imitation.  Slightly interesting.  The second segment is about Sumo wrestling and cheating.  Boring.  The third segment deals with the kind of controversial analysis I was excepting: crime rates in association with abortion rates.  Very interesting.  The last segment sheds some light on incentive programs and how ineffective they are, especially for education.  Interesting.  Overall I was disappointed in this film.  I would have liked there to have been more segments and felt the producers missed the mark.   I'd not call this a bad film but nowhere near as good as I had hoped.  Grade: B.

No comments:

Post a Comment