My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Cars 2 (2011)

It's really unfair to be the best sometimes.  Here Pixar crafts a truly inventive follow-up to one of the more clever animated films made in animation history and it gets bad reviews.  But that's because reviewers have set the bar so high for Pixar.  Compared to most animated films made by other animation houses and this sequel is quite good.  It's funny.  It has a exciting storyline and expands the "everyone is a car" universe.  The opening sequence alone is better than 90% of what's out there.  It does have flaws, which is rare in a Pixar film, but it's not a failure at all.  I left the theater thoroughly entertained.   What we have is a James Bond movie mixed in with a mistaken identity storyline aimed at a younger audience.  I admit Mater isn't necessarily the best character to carry a movie but I love the film's message.  A fun family film and proof that Pixar is willing to take a chance even if that means going against the grain.  Grade: B+.

There's a lot of chatter on this film being a sell out, that Pixar just made this movie to cash in on merchandise.  Honestly this is probably true.  Of course this "Cars" world is John Lasseter's baby and if he wanted to do it I say let him.  True, I'd have loved to have seen an Incredibles sequel more but this is what it is.  I'm going to let Pixar slide on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment