My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, August 19, 2016

Suicide Squad (2016)

For such an awful movie, I must admit to being pretty entertained.  Sadly though, no matter how much fun I had watching the banding of such bad-asses as Deadshot, Harley Quinn, Killer Croc, Katana, Captain Boomerang and Rick Flag this is a cinematic mess.  David Ayer knows how to make a film look great but he might have considered handing over the writing duties to someone else.  Who do you blame for this colorful poop storm?   Everyone really.  Whoever is in charge at Warner Brothers, please, please, please do whatever you must to make better superhero films.  You have so many great characters, they deserve better than this.   What’s especially frustrating about this one is that you have a great cast in Will Smith, Margot Robbie, Jared Leto, Viola Davis , Adewale Akinnouye-Agbaje and Joel Kinnaman.   What could have been a fantastic Dirty Dozen-like picture instead turns into a typical end-of-the-world mega-crisis.  This film has it all:  an illogical plot, a cartoony over the top villain, and in your face violence.   Yes, I was entertained.  In fact I was laughing at all the jokes and thought some of the character building was great.  I even like Leto’s take on the Joker and hope he comes back to play the role.   Still in the end this is a bad film and I can only recommend it if you want to have a good time laughing at how bad of a film it is.  Grade: C  (I want to give it a B- because I had fun but I just can’t justify it. Shrug.)

Spoilers:
Suggestion on a sequel: keep the plot simple.   Don’t have them save the world.  Send them out on some top secret mission that not even the Justice League knows about.   Think Mission Impossible, not Avengers with Villains.  Also don’t ruin a great character like the Enchantress.  And whatever you do, don’t have your villain dance around like some weirdo.   No dancing.  Don’t blow up a city.  Keep with what this film does right: wise-ass bad guys having to work together to accomplish a single goal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment