My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

The Fall by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan

The second book in the Strain Trilogy is a fun continuation of del Toro and Hogan’s take on the vampire outbreak story.  Nothing really ground breaking here but it’s a fun read.  There were a couple moments where I questioned the character’s choices but in the end I want to keep following the story.   It seems kind of hopeless as the Vampire pandemic spreads across New York City while the billionaire ldritch Palmer uses his influence and money to make sure no one is taking it seriously.  The Master is spreading his reach and the only hope we have is in Professor Abraham Setrakian, old guy who has dedicated his life to find and kill the Master, and ex-CDC officer Ep Goodweather who is having to help his son deal with the fact his mother is now one of them.   Grade: B+

Spoiler:

Vampires are taking over the world.  As a father I would do everything I could to make sure my son was safe, especially if his vampire mom was coming for him.  Not Ep, nope.  This guy decides to let his girlfriend take care of his son while he goes on a suicide mission to save the world.   I get it; he thinks he can stop it.  But your son needs you, man.  This is the part I had a really hard time buying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment