My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Mr. Robot (Season 1)

There’s a lot of love going around for this show and I personally don’t feel it’s warranted.  It is a good show but there are many better shows out there.  Rami Malek plays a hacker named Elliot who works for a cyber security firm but on the side works for Mr. Robot, a group of hackers intent on fighting corruption.   None of the characters are really likable and it’s hard to care about their vague conspiracy theory cause.  There’s a twist in the show that I saw coming from the start and I didn’t feel was very clever.   The writing is good though and the cast delivers strong performances.  I just would have liked to have liked this show more.   Instead it’s overrated and hard to embrace.   Grade: B

Spoiler:
Did Sam Esmail read Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk or see Fincher’s film of the same name and decide to make his own version of the story?  I wouldn’t say he stole the idea but his show is very close to being a clone.  They even have the same twist (with a slight variation).   Did Palahniuk consider calling his lawyers and ask, “Do I have a case?”  Yes, they are different but at the core they’re the same.  This isn’t really a knock on the show, more of a head-scratcher.  If I had done the same thing I’m sure I would have gotten a call to stop and cease.  It will be interesting to see what they do for season 2.  Or maybe I should say; it’ll be interesting to see what book or film Esmail is going to borrow from next.


No comments:

Post a Comment