My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Kubo and the Two Strings (2016)

It seems a little unfair at times that Laika gets overshadowed by all the computer-generated animated feature films out there, especially when they’re creating some of the most beautifully crafted stop-motion animated of all time.  This film is no exception.  It’s stylistically a masterpiece with visuals that revival most non-animated films.  I’m watching the film wanting to yell at the screen to freeze frame so I can marvel at what I’m seeing.   The story of Kubo’s journey to find his father’s armor before his evil twin aunts and murderous grandfather, the Moon King, can find him and kill him is abundant with dark mystery and magic.  He travels with a protective monkey and later befriends a man cursed into the form of a beetle.  Directed by Travis Knight (CEO of Laika) and voiced by such talent as Charilze Theron, Matthew McConaughey, Ralph Fiennes, Rooney Mara and George Takai.  I can’t stress this enough, go see this amazing film.  I’m hoping it will win the coveted Oscar for Best Animated Feature, but it will be tough with Zootopia predictably being in the same race this year.  Of course it might not even get nominated which would be crime.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment