My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories by Marina Keegan

Published after her death, Marina Keegan’s collected work of writings is like being introduced to someone you would have wanted to be friends with, but sadly never will know.  It’s a farewell to a talent cut short, a career undeveloped but seething with potential.  My favorite pieces here are her personal essays, especially the one on about having Coeliac disease.  Her fiction is mostly just average.  But I loved reading this book because you can feel her youthful and fearless enthusiasm.  It’s inspiring that her friends and family had these works published for all to read.  Sad too that we’ll never she how much better she would have become as a writer.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment