My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Nightcrawler (2014)

Dan Gilroy’s darkly cynical look at the media and those deadbeat freelancers chasing anything sensational that can be sold to news outlets. I’ve heard many say Jake Gyllenhaal was snubbed for an Oscar nomination this year for his performance as Louis Bloom; and while I can’t say this is true since I didn’t watch all the nominees this year, I will say this is his best performance to date, which is saying something. He creates a truly creepy, off-centered characer that is like an eel in a bathtub. Basically he’s a psychopath and here he finds a way to succeed at doing what he does best. This thrilling film is one of the best of the year, it really is an unpredictable journey into the mind of a man intent on showing the world the darkness of man. Don’t let this statement scare you away. While it has a cold message it’s such an enjoyable film with moments of dark humor that makes it so worthwhile. Grade: A

 

No comments:

Post a Comment