My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, February 16, 2015

Ernest and Celestine (2013)

One of the nominees for Best Animated film for the 86th Academy Awards, this wonderful adaptation of the famous French Children book characters created by Gabrielle Vincent entertains on so many levels. It’s magical to look at with its watercolor rendered drawings. It is clever both in story and character design. And it is the kind of film that would entertain all ages. It’s a world where the mice live in an underground city, telling their children the horrible stories of the dangerous bears that live above ground. And then there are the bears above ground who fear the mice. Yet orphan mouse Celestine doesn’t understand and draws pictures of befriending a bear. Finally she sneaks out above ground and runs into a one-bear-band in Ernest. Before you know it they’re on the run from the police and become very close, like best friends. This is silly and heartwarming and the perfect kind of film to show a young one.  When my son is old enough I bet he's going to love it.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment