My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, January 30, 2015

This is where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper (Novel)

Judd Altman has recently found out his wife is having an affair with his boss. Add on that news with the fact he is heading home to deal with the death of his father. The Altman family is a pretty dysfunctional tribe and their interactions as they get strong-armed into sitting shiva for seven days is pretty hysterical. His sister, Wendy, wrangles two kids while her workaholic husband spends most of his time on the phone. His oldest brother, Paul, runs the family business. Paul’s wife, Annie, is trying to conceive but having a hard time. And Judd’s youngest brother, Philip, the black sheep in the family, a womanizing bonehead, brings home an older woman named Tracey whom he wants to marry. Then there’s his mother, a famous psychologist who is way more open about sex and relationships than Judd finds comfortable. A lot of things happen during this time as a family, incapable of mourning, waits out their duty. While I really enjoyed this book, and could relate to Judd’s wish to fall in love and be a father, I have to say the characters’ shallowness started to get to me. It’s always funny but when I reached the end of the story I felt cold. Judd never comes across as making up his mind what he should do. No one really grows up or makes any major discover. Maybe that’s the point but I would have enjoyed the book more if when we reached the end I could stand next to Judd and his siblings and applaud their transformations. Instead it’s clear they’re all going to continue to make mistakes and be the shallow people they always were. Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment