My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol. 1

When I think of this comic book, it’s the disastrous film adaptation starring Sean Connery (in sadly his last film) that comes to mind. The film was so blah that I avoided reading the comic, even though I knew it was completely different and written by one of the greatest comic writers of all-time: Alan Moore. In many ways I’m glad I waited because time allowed me to expunge the funk that was the film. Reading this wonderful story about Victorian literary characters brought together by the mysterious Mr. M to protect the English Empire was so refreshing. You have their leader Mina Murray (Dracula) followed by Allan Quatermain (King Solomon’s Mines), Captain Nemo (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea), Hawley Griffin (The Invisible Man) and Dr. Jekyll (Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde). I loved how the characters come together and how they’re uniquely defined characters that pop off the page. If the film makers would have just stuck to this story they would have had a much more entertaining film. This is certainly a great read and the bonus short story at the end is about as beautifully weird and exciting as anything I’ve read. Do not miss out on this brilliantly conceived adventure comic. Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment