My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The BFG By Roald Dahl (Novel)

I loved this book when I was a kid and now that I’m a father I thought I’d read it aloud to my son. He’s too young to understand it but I just couldn’t wait to rediscover it. When he’s old enough I can’t wait to read it again. It’s the story of Sophie, an orphan, who is stolen from her bed by a Big Friendly Giant. Together they will work to save the world from all the non-friendly, human-bean eating giants that bully the BFG for collecting dreams and choosing to only eat Snozzcumbers. Only Dahl could write a book about giants that eat people and make it kid friendly. I’ve recently read that Spielberg is directing a film adaptation of this story which is great news. It’ll be interesting to see what they add and change from the book to make it the kind of film audiences today would enjoy. If done well, and with Spielberg this is highly possible, it should be a visual splendor. Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment