My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, January 16, 2015

Crown of Swords by Robert Jordan (Novel) [Revisited]

At last the consistent narrative push that kept this series going falters some. I’m not declaring this a bad book, not at all. It’s a very good seventh book to the Wheel of Time. But this is the one that left me feeling like Mr. Jordan was starting to stall and stretch out the development of the story so to begin a building point to a satisfying ending that is still far out there. He had such a handle on these characters and this world but it is here that I wonder if he’d bitten off more than he could chew, at least without the story slowing down. Rand al’Thor takes a romantic interest in Min while planning his attack on the Foresaken Sammael. Eqwene al’Vere continues her role as the Amyrlin Seat in a section with Aes Sedai politics that kind of meanders. Elayne Trakand and Nynaeve al’Meara struggle to find the Bowl of the Winds in Ebou Dar and must reluctantly ask for Mat Cauthon’s help. When I finished the book I just felt it was too long, especially the events with Eqwene. The best part of the book deals with Mat and his adventure in Edou Dar. Still to think how ambitious this story is and where it is leading, it’s an incredible achievement. I can’t really complain too badly with a book that’s only slightly less entertaining than the ones before it. When it comes to the fantasy genre this saga is still a special one worth celebrating. Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment