My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Hannibal (Season 1)

When I read that the creator of Pushing Daisies was creating a series out of the characters from Thomas Harris’ books Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs, I had mixed feeling. First of all, I didn’t want a serial killer television show. Dexter already did it and I wasn’t sure how I felt about Hannibal Lector coming to the small screen after already being portrayed by an master actor.  Step in Mads Mikkelse to erase my doubts.  This is a very dark and beautifully stylized horror show.  I can't believe it's on NBC.  I'm not complaining but there are some really disturbing and gross images that usually never made it past the sensors.  Perhaps the censors were afraid they'd be invited to dinner as Mr. Lector's main course next season.  What I really love about this show is that it transends the genre of the police procedural drama and is really just a psychological character study about a monster and the man insane enough to hunt him but maybe not smart enough to realize he's right in front of his face.   I can't wait for season two.  Grade: A- 

No comments:

Post a Comment