My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Before Midnight (2013)

Richard Linklater teams up again with Ethan Hawk and Julie Delpy to give us the third chapter in the love story between Jesse and Céline, introduced in the 1995 film Before Sunrise. I love these kinds of experiments, where a film maker revisits the same characters over the course of years. It’s a rare and beautiful achievement that can demonstrate the complexity of life in all its beauty. Here Jess and Celine are in the middle of an Italian vacation with their twin daughters. Yet marriage never is happily ever after and these two passionate people are a fire storm of emotions, regrets, angst and hope. Here are two seasoned actors doing what they love, exploring their craft in a most wonderful and memorable way. You can feel their honesty as they dig deep into their own lives to craft characters that transcend the form. If you hate movies with lots of talking, you might want to stay away from this one. But if you’re like me and find conversation a beautiful music worthy of film then do not miss this brilliant collaboration. Grade: A

Spoiler Alert: Call me a hopeless romantic but I think Jesse and Celine are going to make things work. Sure they might separate for a time but something tells me the next time we see them in seven years they’ll fall back in love. That’s if they separate and I don’t know if they will, I hope they don’t. (It says something about the film when you write about the two characters as if they’re real people.)

No comments:

Post a Comment