My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, April 18, 2014

Captain America: Winter Soldier

I love it when a franchise makes a sequel better than the film that started it. It means the producers actually care about storytelling and expanding on that hero’s world to make the overall quality grow. I liked the first Captain American film, The First Avenger, and must admit I wish we could have had more films where Captain America fights during WWII. But because of The Avengers films we need Captain America in the present time. Here a man from the WWII era is confronted by today’s more pessimistic war on terror, and the terror here might be aliens but we all know what real-life enemies they're hinting at.   Directed by the Russo Brothers who directed that other action packed, superhero film . . . wait a minute, these dudes directed episodes of Arrested Development and You, Me and Dupree.  How did Marvel know they'd be able to put together some of the best fight scenes in superhero fim history.  I mean, really, the fight scenes are so intense and raw that my jaw was sore afterward from clenching my mouth shut.  Wow, I'm impressed.   This is just a very satisfying continuation of what is becoming the heart of the Avengers.  I can't wait to see what else Marvel has in store for these characters.  Let's hope they all survive the next Avenger's outing.  Grade: A-

Spoilers:  My only complaint and I can't decide how big of one it is, is seeing Nick Fury die only to show up again later as a live.  It cheatened the emotinal impact of seeing his death.  It also reminded me of another part two superhero movie, notiable The Dark Knight.  Gordon seemed to have died in that one too and yet in that film it was new and awesome, here it felt ho-hum.  I can imagine it's difficult to kill off a promising character, especially one staring the great Samuel Jackson but Marvel, you're going to need to do.   If only to create that sense of danger that superhero films today are seeming to lack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment