My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Jack the Giant Slayer (2013)

I really did think this film was going to turn out just fine even with all the rumors of its spiraling budget.  I mean, you have Brian Singer directing (who before his failed Superman movie had done no wrong), Ewan McGregor and Bill Nighy starring and a promising concept of redoing the Jack and the Beanstalk fable.  What went wrong?  I wouldn’t call this a bad movie in the sense that I was amused by parts of it but it is a very flawed film.  The worst part of it is the special effects.  The giants are so generic and boring looking.  I just don’t understand why they had to make them so dopey looking.   The bean stalk looked okay but at times I felt it could have been better.   The bean stalk world from Puss N’ Boots was better looking and more interesting than the cave man like version we have here.   What kept me entertained was the love story between Jack and Isabelle but still this was a predictable storyline that could have used a few more twists.   Maybe in another decade someone will actually give us a Jack and the Bean stalk film we deserve, one where the giants don’t look like cartoon cave people.  Grade: B-


No comments:

Post a Comment