My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, September 28, 2013

In the Realm of Senses (1976)

This is the most erotic sex film I have ever seen. Nagisa Oshima develops a fictional inspiration on the Sada Abe affair, the true story of a woman who kills her lover by strangling him to heighten his sexual orgasm and then proceeds to castrate him after he dies. That’s right, this actually happened. Warning: if you are offended by nudity or any kind of sex in a film do not watch this. This is a very explicit film with pretty much the entire film a sex scene. I’m very open to what Oshima attempted to do and was impressed by the brave performances by his two principle actors, Tatsuya Fuji and Eiko Matsuda. Ultimately once the shock wears off the narrative kind of stretches out and it’s the character work that keeps the film from becoming a boring exercise in sex. Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment