My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, September 20, 2013

Insidious: Chapter 2 (2013)

The first film of this new horror franchise was a complete surprise, a spooky twist on the haunted house (or possession) story that really packs a scary punch.   If the first film was inspired but films like Poltergeist, here it seems James Wan and Leigh Whannell were inspired by The Shinning.   Patrick Wilson and Rose Byrne return but it’s Patrick who must deal with his past (demon) while Rose investigates more into the history of Parker Crane.   I found this to be a very clever sequel.   It’s not as scary perhaps but that’s more to do with the problem that we, the audience, understand how the spirit world works this time around and so the mystery aspect of the story is taken away.   Yet it’s a very satisfying continuation.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment