My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, April 4, 2016

American Crime Story: OJ Simpson VS the People (2016)

I thought I knew the story.  I thought I remembered all the pieces to this overly-televised tragedy of the justice system but I was wrong.  Ryan Murphy brings together a stellar cast to dramatize an event that seemed destined to be dramatized.  Truth really is stranger than fiction.  I can’t believe that most of this happened.   After every episode I’d research online to find out what really happened.  To my surprise, it all happened pretty much like it is shown in this mini-series.  No wonder OJ was found not-guilty; even though it was obvious he did it.  Race is a major problem in our society and never has a moment in our recent history placed a spot light on it so brightly.  Marica Clark (played brilliantly by Sarah Paulson) never would have succeeded to bring OJ to justice.  It wasn’t in the cards.  Johnnie Cochran (amazingly portrayed by Courtney B. Vance) and his team created the perfect storm of doubt that would have gotten anyone off, especially a famous African American Hero.   That’s how good this show is.  The writing is so good it doesn’t matter if you know how it ends.  The story is so fascinating you can cast well-known actors like John Travolta and Cuba Gooding Jr. and not care; their celebrity actually becomes swallowed up and forgotten.   The impact of his crime and this trial is far-reaching and I’m very impressed how intelligently the producers and writers demonstrate this in such a clear way.  Yes, it might make you a little angry knowing a murderer of two people got away, but it’s important to see why?   Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment