My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, April 18, 2016

The Harder They Come by T.C. Boyle

Take three complex characters add in Boyle’s brilliant writing gifts and what you have is a dramatic and engaging novel that I highly recommend.  You have a vet named Sten dealing with a son going through a mental break, said son, Adam, diving deeper into behavior that’s anti-social and dangerous.   And the older woman named Sarah that becomes romantically entangled with Adam, a rebellious horse trainer who is anti-government and in trouble with the law.  The switch in point of view is insightful and proof there’s many sides to a story.   From my research on Wikipedia, this book was inspired by the real case of Aaron Bassler of Northern California.   Don’t look into this unless you want a major spoiler. Boyle proves again that he’s a master of taking a real story and making it his own.   Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment