My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

The Girls at the Kingfisher Club by Genevieve Valentine

Valentine re-imagines the fairy tale about twelve dancing princesses by setting it during the roaring twenties.  It’s a tightly written novel with strong characters and a fine sense of suspense.  While I almost would have enjoyed even more details about each of the sisters, I think Valetine’s instincts are right not to overwrite and potentially ruin a book that does essentially have one main character and that’s the eldest sister, Jo.  One might question if such a father could exist, a man that would coldly shut up his daughters and keep them from the world, but it is a frightening idea and Valentine does a great job making it work.   This is my first experience with Valentine and I will have to pick up another book of hers if I see one.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment