My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Towers of Midnight by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson

The second to last volume to the collusion of the Wheel of Time takes us through a series of events we’ve been waiting to see for some time.  Rand and Egwene reunite, now at the height of their powers.   Perrin accepts his role as a leader of an army and a man connected to wolves.  Mat Cauthon goes on a mission that will challenge his luck.   Sanderson is bringing it all together and the characters seem to have reached the apex of their growth.   They’re all grown up as it were.   Now we get to the BIG battle and I can’t help but feel like it’s going to be spectacular.   I do still miss Jordan’s sense of deliver but Sanderson is very skilled.  There’s no question that the story is in good hands.   What’s especially nice is there are moments (like the battle to undermine Mazrim Taim at the Black Tower) that feel like its his own addition and it all works.   I can’t believe I’m actually going to finish this series after so many years.  Is Rand going to really break the remaining Seals?   Will the Daughter of Nine Moons join the fight or thwart Mat?   It’s all very exciting.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment