My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, January 15, 2016

The Gathering Storm by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson

This is the first book of the Wheel of Time not completely written by Robert Jordan (although from my understanding Mr. Sanderson had a huge support system, chunks of manuscript to work with and lots of detailed notes).  Brandon Sanderson does a pretty terrific job.  He actually compliments Jordan’s style and voice quite well even if you can tell someone else is writing (which is completely fine).  To know that this epic tome will have an end is wonderful and this first part of the conclusion gives me a lot of hope.  First it’s very entertaining.  The best story line deals with Egwene al'Vere as she lives as a prisoner in the White Tower but continues to fight for the right to be the true Amyrlin.  And then there’s Rand’s main plot that grows to a moment that is impressive if a bit of a stretch.  Still this is all very good.  A lot is going to happen and I can’t see how it unfolds.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment